Donate to The Aniplant Project to help Cuban animals

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I'll Stand By You

I'll Stand By You

It was 1996, and we were in Washington DC on the Mall in front of the Capitol taking part in the second national March for Animals. That event and another in 1990 was put on by the National Alliance for Animals. Washington DC is a long way to go for most Americans, but this was a very special cause for Charlene and me. It was all about moving the nation toward a more respectful attitude toward all animals. The assembled marchers were promoting the rights of animals and the protection of animals.

We were somewhat disappointed with the turnout for the march. Six years earlier the crowds were larger, their spirits a little higher. Estimating how many actually show up for a demonstration at the Capitol is a political game. If it's your demonstration, you see the attendance as higher, and if it's a group you don't like, your estimates are a little lower, so I didn't play the numbers for either march, but the first was clearly larger.

We were also concerned that another group had chosen the same day for a demonstration at the Capitol. It was a gay and lesbian group, although I can't remember the group's name. But I'll always remember what they did. It was one of those insufferably hot summer days with the temperature over 90, and humidity to match. The sun beat down on all the demonstrators as we milled around at the foot of the huge flights of Capitol steps on the west side of the building. The only drinking water around was a running garden hose laying in one of the closed off streets. I finally decided it couldn't be too dirty, having been running for more than an hour. I drank from it after a number of others had done so.

We wondered where the gay group was and worried a little that they might upstage our efforts for the animals, but we needn't have. Soon, we heard strong familiar piano chords introducing a beautiful female voice. "That's Chrissie Hynde," someone said. "I think she's here for the gays." Well, she was here for us too. At the top of the stairs, they appeared marching to the music single file down both sides of the central stairway. Leading the left side was Dan Mathews, a 6' 5" animal rights hero and Vice President of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. There was no question both groups were united that day, as Chrissie Hynde was sitting on Dan's shoulders belting out her megahit, "I'll Stand ByYou." The animal rights demonstrators were stricken with the friendly gesture and so moved by the soulful rock music. I wasn't the only one wiping a tear away from my eye.

When the night falls on you
Don't know what to do…

I'll stand by you.

The gays filed down the stairs and mixed in with our crowd until no one knew who was from what group. We were suddenly one big family. The haunting music was repeated until all the people were on the mall level, when Chrissie and the band found shade under one of the huge trees. Rejuvenated, invigorated, everyone knew both demonstrations had become wildly successful. I walked over by the tree and saw Chrissie there stretched out on the cool grass. I wanted to tell her how much her music meant to all of us, but, being a little shy, I stayed silent and moved on. After all, the value of her contribution was obvious.

You're standing at the crossroads
Don't know which path to choose…

I'll stand by you.

Ever since that day, whenever we hear Chrissie sing that song, Charlene and I have an emotional moment. I think that's what inspired Charlene to use "I'll Stand ByYou" for the background music for our new The Aniplant Project slideshow. It's a really artistic tribute to suffering animals everywhere. It is dedicated to World Stray Animals Day, today, April 4, 2012. To see it, if you are on our mailing list, you'll get an emailing from Charlene with a link to the slideshow. Be sure your sound is on and click the link.


Les Inglis

No comments:

Post a Comment